Tuesday 5 June 2012

blacklUp Makeup Launch


If you were listening to the beauty buzz, you would have heard about the launch of blacklUp Makeup. An upscale French Make-up Artist line created with women of colour in mind. Now usually once it's French and I can't pronounce it has to be good. The name Black Up Makeup was easy enough to pronounce but before now not easy enough to get. I knew for some time it was available in a boutique on the West Coast but was not sufficiently motivated to purchase it.




In steps Cave Shepherd and after much hype, bells and whistles they launch the line in Bridgetown last Thursday, May 31st  and I was able to go. A number of beauty-lovers and members of the fashion and beauty community were invited to the launch to get our hands dirty and of course to drink wine. 

I’ve been to launches before which were more informal and to my dismay had much less wine. So this one I liked.
I was able to meet and mix and mingle with fellow artists as well as some of my clients who had come out just to see what was up.  
 Shanelle from IhrtMakeup and Heidi of Moden Makeup

  Well known MUA Troy Forde
Members of Colour Coded

Rodney Powers trying literally to kill Kamilah of Ihrt Makeup 'wid laugh'

The legendary Adzil Stuart posing with Shanelle while Dee Blackett looks on.

Natasha Fields-Gittens



Model Eleazar


Now anybody can whip up a batch of foundation slap a big price tag on it and call it a luxury line so I was really interested in reading what the line was all about.  I was provided with a press kit, which details the line's origins and specific focus.
Here's what I like, so far...
It's black, it's sleek looking and the cream to powder compact is easy to carry.
The line has a special focus on matifying and let me tell you, I wage war on oil on a daily basis. Nutrients are nice but I want to like matte and polished as long as possible.
It comes in a wide range of shades and I had no problem finding mine.
Shades are warm without appearing too red on the skin and the formulation dries down quickly. 

This is by no means a review as I have just purchased three items and will be wearing them regularly and giving you a more detailed review later but so far, so good.

I had a chance to speak with Area Sales Representative Tina Hamilton and Marketing Manager Kay Richards and expressed how excited I was to be there but also how thrilled I was in their choice of Makeup Artist.


 Carolanne Nurse
Joanna Jones hard at work

Way, way, way, back in the day when I thought I could apply all shadows with a q-tip, I met Carolanne Nurse. At that time she worked with Clinique. I remember looking at her skin and thinking OMG! It was flawless so whatever she was selling I was buying. She then moved to MAC Cosmetics and she took her flawless face, pleasant attitude and great service there. I was pleased to see that Black Up had hired such a gem. In the days before I owned more makeup that any same person can actually wear, she helped me with my purchases and I am sure that should you venture down she will make you feel as comfortable as she did me. Makeup doesn’t just walk off a shelf. Especially in Barbados where everyone just wants to look “natural”. Personnel are important are Black Up has made a good choice in Make-up Artists Carolanne Nurse and Joanna Jones.

French MUA Clothilde Lambadarios has been doing makeup for 6 years. The International Black Up Makeup artist travels all over representing the brand  and was here in Barbados for the launch.She gave me a free makeover and I was able to have my colour selected while discussing the brand.

I had a blast and I even got some goodies in my press kit. A deep red lipstick, a full size pearl powder shadow,  sample sizes of the Matifying base, (which I later bought) and a Coup D’Eclat (which sounds fancy so you know I bought it!) I also bought the cream to powder foundation, which I will review soon. When you have a chance have a look at the new option on the market blacklUp Makeup!

No comments:

Post a Comment